The Caledonia waterfall trail
One of the most beautiful hiking trails in the Troodos mountains is the Caledonia waterfall trail.
See our maps page to download a free copy of the 1:60,000 Troodos West map.
Location: Troodos Mountains
Distance: 3km (6km round trip)
Walk Time: 2 hours
High Point: 1600m (end of trail 2km from Troodos square)
There are several waterfall hikes in Cyprus and our favourite is this one on the Caledonia trail.
Forest Waterfall Walk Summary
The walk is relatively short, being only 3km from the start to the finish. But don't let the short distance fool you!
Most people start the walk at Platres near the Psilo Dendro trout farm, situated on the main road from
Limassol to Troodos.
- At Psilo Dendro, take the concrete path to the left of the restaurantand walk 100m up to the start of the trail.
- At the wooden marker board, continue up the forest track towards the famous waterfall. The track is straightforwardto follow but do take care as the path crosses the Kryos Potamos river six or seven times before you hear the waterfall sound and youfinally approach the waterfall itself.
- Hiking boots are strongly recommended for crossing the river, especially in wet weather or after snowfall in Cyprus as thewaterfall rock can be very slippery.
- Once you reach the falls, take time to rest and get that camera out as you will want to take lots of pictures.
- The track then continues alongside the left of the Caledonia falls (you can stop to look over the top of the waterfall) and then, after some rocks and undergrowth, you will pick up the first of the nature trail markers.
- Follow the waterfall trail which goes STEEPLY upwards. There are lots of nature trail signs to help you on your wayand this section is far less dangerous under foot as wooden bridges have been built to cross the river.
- The trail finishes at the wooden hut, about 2km from Troodos square, but not before you have conquered the 150 manmade steps en route - this part of the walk is very tiring so you need to be resaonably fit.
- You can then either descend back down the same way, continue onwards to Troodos square or take an extentionloop by turning right at the wooden hut and joining the Pouziaris trail (1629m S.Shoulder), marked on the map.
Waterfall Landscape Terrain
Forest track strewn with rocks and tree roots. Very slippery in wet conditions. Upper sections of the trail are part stone, part wooden bridges.
Waterfall Trail Navigation Pointers
An easy to follow trail starting from the Psilo Dendro trout farm.
Tips: This walk can be enjoyed all year round even in the hot summer months as it is a well shaded forest waterfall walk. If you intend to do this walk in the winter months, however, check on the weather conditionsin Troodos before you go as the walk may be too slippery after wet weather or snow.
Where to Eat after your famous waterfall walk
Platres has a wide choice of cafes and restaurants. Try Mimi's opposite the CTO office for excellent home cooked food.
Aphrodite TrailE4 long distance path in Cyprus
Walking Holidays in Cyprus
HOME| SITEMAP | CONTACT | ABOUT| SITE POLICIES| FINANCIAL FREEDOM
VILLAS| HOTELS| ONLINE TAXI BOOKINGS| CHEAP FLIGHTS| CAR HIRE
Powered by Site Build It!
Return from Waterfall Trail to Walking