Cyprus Mountains - The Troodos Massif
No visit to Cyprus is complete until you have experienced the magic of the Cyprus Mountains.
If you visit Cyprus in the summer months, the Troodos mountains offer a respite from the searing heat of the coastal regions, with temperatures at least 5 degrees cooler than the beach resorts.
Winter, on the other hand, offers the opportunity to SKI, yes, that's right to SKI and, if you're luckyenough (and brave enough to venture into the water!) you can even ski and swim on the same day.
The Troodos is also a paradise for hikers and bikers with lots of fantastic trails and awesome views.
Top 10 things to do in Troodos, Cyprus
- Ski in the Cyprus snow in winter.
- Be adventurous and go on a Mountain bike ride or a hire a top quality mountain bike
- Or breathe in the pine forest smells by hiking on one of the many nature trails, like the Atalante or Artemis trails which take you right around Mount Olympus.
TIP: Grab a copy of this great little walking guide packed full of stunning hikes in the Troodos mountains including the Atalante and Artemis trails.
- Visit some Byzantine frescoed churches like Agios Nikolaos tis Stegis, 5km from Kakopetria, one of many delightful Troodos churches recognised by UNESCO as a World Cultural Heritage Site.
- Or discover why the monks chose the Troodos as a way to escape the temptations of the coast, by setting up large monasteries. The most famous is Panagia tou Kykkou (Kykkos) but for a quieter, more tranquil experience, try the Trooditissa monastery near Platres.
- Go rock hunting to see why Cyprus geology is famous throughout the world.
- Sample the cherries in the Marathasa valley.
- Get married! The Troodos is a favourite place for a Cyprus wedding for those looking to truly get away from it all. Or perhaps spend a few days of your honeymoon in the mountains.
- Go wine tasting. Some of the best wine on the island comes from the Troodos as the cool yet warm climate creates a perfect environment for grape growing. There are many winerieswithin a few kilometres of one another, particularly around the Omodhos area.
- Or just go for a leisurely drive in the Cyprus mountains.
There are many scenic routes up to Troodos from the coast, so take your time, admire the views and stop in a mountain village when you get hungry or thirsty where the locals will welcome you with open arms.
Check out these links to plan your trip to the Cyprus Mountains and the Troodos massif:
Where to Stay - Hotels in Troodos
Cyprus snow - Ski Cyprus
Cyprus Geography - Cyprus geology
Consider hiring a guide for mountain biking or walking
Other Related Pages:
Troodos Mountain Walks
Caledonia waterfall trail in Troodos
HOME| SITEMAP | CONTACT | ABOUT| SITE POLICIES| FINANCIAL FREEDOM
VILLAS| HOTELS| ONLINE TAXI BOOKINGS| CHEAP FLIGHTS| CAR HIRE
Powered by Solo Build It!
Return from Cyprus Mountains to Secret Cyprus