Explore some deserted villages
On this medium level cycle route near Lysos
Ride the Lysos Loop
If you're looking for deserted villages in Cyprus, try this medium cycling route through a GORGEOUS gorgenear the village of Lysos.
The views are spectacular from every turn as you wind your way through pine forest before visiting the village of Lysos.
A hard climb onto the ridge above Lysos (known locally as Rocky Ridge) is then rewarded with a wonderful long descent through four deserted villages to the bottom of the Evretou valley.
The villages of Melandra, Zacharia, Istinjo and Sarama became deserted after the conflict in 1974 and the only inhabitantsare now goats, sheep and pigs, tended by local farmers.
- Start your journey at Abtoullinous Junction, clearly marked on the map.
- Take the E4 around the hillside for
5km until you reach the main road.
- Turn LEFT towards Lysos. After a coffee in the village, climb up through
the village following signs to Melandra.
- Once on the ridge, there are amazing views back towards the coast and also towards
the Troodos mountains; on a clear day you can pick out Mount Olympus with its familiar golf ball marking the summit.
- Next make your way DOWNHILL through the four villages until you reach the valley floor.
- Turn LEFT past the "avenue" of Cyprus trees up the valley until you reach a NO ENTRY sign. This is the start of the GORGEOUS gorge.
NB: Inexperienced mountain bikers are advised to walk the first 300m of the gorge as the terrain is very rocky and the drop very steep...
if you get it wrong! Take your time through the gorge to admire the views...they are spectacular.
- At the end of the gorge, take a LEFT hand turn and follow the trail UPHILL all the way back to the junction where you have left your car.
TIP: You can do the route in reverse but then it becomes a HARD route as youwill have a steep 6km CLIMB through the deserted villages.
Difficulty: MEDIUM The last 4km are UPHILL!
Terrain: Forest trails, 15% concrete/road, rocky sections and rough gravel through the gorge
Return from Deserted Villages Cycle Route to Cycling