Cyprus recipes - Afelia
Here's one of my favourite Cyprus recipes - Afelia.
Pork is the most popular meat on the island - it's cheap B>AND it is SO tasty, probably because it tends to be quite fatty which goes against our health conscious approach to life but hey...a little of what you fancy does no harm eh?
Of course, you can always cut all the fat off if you want to be health conscious and this Cyprus recipe for Afelia suits lean pork perfectly:
AFELIA - Cyprus Recipes - Pork with red wine and spices
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 1 kg/2 lb lean pork without bone, cubed
- 200ml red wine
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds, lightly crushed
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- salt & lots of freshly ground black pepper
How to prepare it:
- Make a marinade from the cinnamon, coriander seeds, salt and pepper and wine and pour over your pork.
- Refrigerate the meat in the marinade for at least 4 hours but preferably overnight if possible.
- When you are done marinating, lift out the meat and save the marinade.
- Heat the oil in a heavy based pan and brown your cubes of meat, a few at a time until they are nicely browned. Add
more oil if necessary.
- Wipe any excess oil from the pan and return all the meat to it with the reserved marinade and enough cold water to just cover the meat.
- Bring to the boil then cover the pan with a lid and reduce the heat to cook the meat gently for about 30 mins or until tender.
- Most of the liquid should have evaporated to leave a thick sauce. If not, continue to cook uncovered until the excess liquid is gone.
- Garnish with parsley, serve and tuck in. Yum!
TIP: For added flavour, add thin slices of onion to the oil and lightly brown them after frying the last batch of pork pieces.
Feeling hungry? Make sure you check out Cypriot Afelia, which is a firm favourite on the menu of most tavernas.
For more Cyprus recipes just click on the links below:
Recipe for Beef Stifado
Recipe for Dhaktyla
Recipe for Octopus Stifado
| SITEMAP | CONTACT | ABOUT| SITE POLICIES| FINANCIAL FREEDOM
VILLAS| HOTELS| ONLINE TAXI BOOKINGS| CHEAP FLIGHTS| CAR HIRE
Powered by Solo Build It!
Return from Cyprus Recipes Afelia to Recipes
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.